Founders' Engineering Scholarship
IIAR is a technical association comprised of engineers, end users, contractors, and manufacturers working in the natural refrigeration industry. The organization and its membership develop ANSI-approved safety standards, technical publications, and educational materials to support refrigeration professionals and their use of natural refrigerants.
Download PDF Flyer
Our Founders Scholarship is awarded each year to incoming collegiate Juniors and Seniors exhibiting exceptional character and an interest in pursuing an engineering or related technical degree leading to a career in the refrigeration field.
The scholarship also
provides additional funds for registration, travel, lodging and meals
associated with attending IIAR’s Annual
Natural Refrigeration Conference & Expo during the Spring of their Junior
Scholarship funds are applicable for tuition only and are paid directly to the recipient’s college or university.
$4,000 to be paid in two equal installments of $2,000.
Scholarship recipients will receive an invitation to attend IIAR’s Annual Natural Refrigeration Conference & Expo during the spring of their junior year. The scholarship provides additional funds for registration, travel, lodging and meals associated with attendance. Juniors must attend the conference and maintain the minimum GPA in order to trigger a disbursement increase in their senior year.
$9,000 to be paid in two equal installments of $4,500 for recipients who attended IIAR’s Annual Natural Refrigeration Conference & Heavy Equipment Expo during the spring of their junior year.
$4,000 to be paid in two equal installments of $2,000 for recipients who did not attend IIAR’s Annual Conference & Heavy Equipment Expo during the spring of their junior year.
- Open to undergraduate students entering their Junior or Senior years and attending a four-year accredited college or university.
- The industrial refrigeration industry is a multi-disciplinary field which offers exciting job opportunities in virtually all engineering fields of study, including but not limited to: Mechanical, Electrical, Civil and Environmental, Industrial and Manufacturing, Agricultural, and Chemical Engineering, as well as Computer Science, Automation, and Mechatronics. Engineers working in the industrial refrigeration industry have the opportunity to help address the urgent issue of climate change and reducing greenhouse gas emissions by applying environmentally friendly natural refrigerants in energy efficient refrigeration and heat pump systems. Applicants must be pursuing a degree in one of these fields and have a proven interest in applying their skills in the commercial and industrial refrigeration industry using natural refrigerants
- Must have completed 45 semester credit hours (or equivalent) or 90 quarter credits at the time of application.
- Must hold a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale (3.75 on a 5.0 scale) towards an engineering degree
Letter(s) of recommendation and college transcripts can to be submitted via mail or e-mail: [email protected]
Attn: Scholarship Subcommittee Chair
1001 North Fairfax Street, Suite 503
Alexandria, VA 22314
| Application Deadline for 2024 Scholarship
| May 31, 2024
| Scholarship Awards Announcement
| June 30, 2024
The objective of the IIAR/NRF Founders Scholarship program is to attract outstanding engineering and technical students who are seeking careers in the refrigeration field. Applications will be reviewed and scored by the Scholarship Subcommittee to select awardees based on the following criteria:
- One (1) point for a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (3.75 on a 5.0 scale)
- Additional (1) point for each 0.2 points on a 4.0 scale (0.25 on a 5.0 scale) above the minimum GPA to a maximum of five (5) points.
- 1-2 points for each letter of recommendation (maximum of four points).
- 1-5 points for scholastic achievement.
- 1-5 points for personal narrative essay.